Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Hercules and Love Affair - Blind

Was not so sure about what to make of this track a month ago. The hype was immense and, when I finally heard it, I was underwhelmed.

That's because I didn't listen to the "club mix".

The album version is very 70s, very disco, with a lot of hi-hats and sounding rather cluttered. The "Club Mix" (a term I personally hate because it's so vague), however, lets the song breath. It lets Antony's vocals soar, by removing the elements that weren't ever important to the song and giving it a more epic feel. His vocals are too good to clutter up, and placing them along a simple beat and spacing the song out makes what was an alright tune a real classic.

The horns are played around with, the disco bass is completely done away with, and it turns into a tune akin to the massive "Hang Around (Wahoo Main Mix)". I don't know how I'll feel about the album, which has gotten so much praise the past month, given my feelings towards the original. If it's more like Hercules' remix, however, we're in for a treat.

No comments: